My Site Is Full

We're moving again! Well, not physically, but my blogger account is full, and I'm moving to a new blog location.

Click here to go to the new, improved, and totally awesome Bethany Harty blog. OK, you got me. It looks just the same as this one. Can't fool you :)



CLICK HERE TO ENTER MY NEW SITE!!!

















Monday, June 18, 2007

Cicada Invasion

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and we didn't have Cicadas. They're really kinda cool, as long as you don't have to touch them. Click on that link above to find out more about cicadas. We have the 17-year life cycle kind.

Anyway, they were supposed to be coming out, and we didn't see any. Brent went to Orland Park the other day, and picked up a riding lawn mower from his friend. It had a few issues, but could be repaired. Anyway, he had a TON of cicadas at his house. The kids had a blast gathering them and putting them in containers. They brought about a dozen home, then released them into our woods.

Well, yesterday (Sunday), we found some of them. Here's the one we found on the sidewalk. I spotted it, and ran inside to get the camera. Joe had killed it before I got back out. So this one is mostly dead. But it was still twitching a bit. Nice.



Look at their creepy red eyes. Scary.



Jim was fascinated by it. He picked it up, and carried it around for a while. Silly boy :)

5 comments:

Joe McShinsky said...

Do they bite like horse-flies?

Nathaniel said...

Nah.

The best part is their husks when they turn into adults. We used to make armies out of their lifeless brown shells.

Here's a picture of a shell from the link Bethany posted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/18/Matt_cicada.jpg/800px-Matt_cicada.jpg

Good stuff.

Stephen said...

I remember catching Cicadas when I was a kid. Good Fun!

These days I'd rather catch a Praying Mantis and feed the Cicadas to them, haha.

Praying Mantis' don't freak me out at all. It's fun watching them catch their pray.

a said...

ew, bugs are just nasty. but then, i'm a girl :)

Nathaniel said...

Bugs don't bother me so much, but I hate spiders.

Visitors